Thursday, November 12, 2009

FSOT results, break it down

The results are in, sort of. As I commented in a brief (but exciting) post, I did in fact pass the Foreign Service last month. Hooray indeed. On the other hand, I'm glad I'm not holding my breath on getting a coveted FSO job anytime soon; you'll see why in a second. Even though I passed, it certainly wasn't with a tremendous score. The cutoffs for passing the exam are a cumulative 154 points on the multiple choice and a 6 on the essay. The following are my scores:

Job Knowledge: 51.98
Biographical: 47.85
English Grammar: 55.76
Total: 155.59
Essay: 8

I'm very happy with my score (I passed didn't I?) but I won't quit my day job anytime soon! Regardless, I will continue with the application process and if that doesn't work out, I still have other options (including a potential internship at the Department of State).

Congrats to the fellow testers who passed and all the luck to those who will take the exam next cycle. On to the QEP!

5 comments:

Digger said...

Congrats! And don't worry about the breakdown. Passing is passing. Your score means nothing. I never even got my breakdown.

Good luck on the QEPs and getting an offer to take the OA!

Frodo said...

Way to go! My scores a are pretty similar and like Digger said - passing = not passing. Good luck on the PN/QEP.

Anonymous said...

Agreed, passing = passing. And, you're already a practical economist :)

Good luck with the QEP.

Anonymous said...

I just got my scores today after finding out in October that I passed. I was surprised and a little disturbed to see that I only got 153.88. I guess they decided to round up. I hope it wasn't a fluke, and that I actually failed.

Anonymous said...

So... How did the QEP respond to your personal narrative? Did you make it to orals?