Thursday, August 27, 2009

Google Voice and Area Code Snobbery

As some of you may know, Google said, "let there be Voice". And there was. Google Voice is the latest and greatest in Google revolutionary thought (actually it's acquired thought from the now-defunct company GrandCentral). Google Voice is like Gmail or anything else Google except for your telephone. Here's how it works:

You get a GV number free from Google after waiting a few weeks for an invitation. You can chose your area code and all that jazz, then whenever someone calls your GV number, the call gets forwarded to your cell, office, home, or whatever phone(s) you'd like. Online, it gives you free texts from your GV number, transcribes voicemail and puts it online for you, and a whole lot more. So I'm sure you're wondering how I like it? I wouldn't know. I haven't been able to choose a phone number to my liking.

Google bought up about 1,000,000 numbers across the US for it's launch of Google Voice, and sure enough there wasn't so much as one available in an area code of my choosing when I got my invite. As we know, I live in Phoenix, the city that never cools down. I already have a great phone number. It's sleek, fun, and even has a strange family connection. All in all, a desirable, classic phone number. But I can't port my phone number to Google, so I have to get a new GV number.

Alas, the time comes to get my number from Google Voice. I have two area codes I am willing to have: Washington, DC (202) or Phoenix (602). I would prefer a DC number because I intend to move there after graduation and I already have a sweet 602 number. So I tell GV to find me a 202 number. Denied. Seriously? Ok then, 602, for the win. Rejected.

Not even a (gasp!) 480 number to be found. Oh, but Phoenix has one area code available from Google Voice: 623. The Pragmatic Economist doesn't do 623. 623 provokes thoughts of drug-cartels and bad Mexican food. No. Absolutely not. And then I realized it: I am an area code snob.

Is that wrong? Do you discriminate based on area code alone? I've always thought I was open-minded, egalitarian, and such, but having a 623 area code is like wearing the Scarlet Letter of area codes. It shouts "I have done something wrong". That may be a bit melodramatic, but nonetheless, somewhat true. So until I can get a real area code, preferably 202 of course, I will be waiting to experience the wonders of Google Voice. Alas, supply and demand you have bested me. I demand, Google supplies. Beggars can't be choosers, but I'm willing to wait. Begging is such a 623 type of thing to do anyway.


Extra Credit: Here are links to the "Defenestrated" blog (I'm jealous of the name!) and check out some of Google Voice's voicemail transcriptions. Class dismissed.




No comments: