Sunday, September 13, 2009

Anthropology: FAIL

Something tells me this anthropology topic is going to become a regular staple of this blog. We've already discussed The Pragmatic Economist's displeasure toward certain individuals in the class. You would never believe it, but the same two people just cannot hold their tongues.

After talking at length about simple Mendelian genetics, Punnett squares, and the like, this girl asked the professor how two parents who didn't display recessive traits could have a child with a recessive phenotype. Seriously? We spent half an hour talking about this, and we explained this exact example as well. At least it's joke material.

As if this isn't enough, when talking about bone formation she asks the professor:
Q:) "Where does the calcium in our bones come from? Does our DNA make it?"
A:) "No. You ingest calcium. See me after class."

Oh the good times you have in freshman classes. I don't mean to seem like an ageist/elitist, but I don't remember ever asking things like that in a 101 level class.


In other news, I have a thesis director and second reader! All I have to do is fill out my prospectus. My thesis title/idea is something to the tune of "Developmental Effects of State Privatization in post-Command Economies". I'm very excited, it's a step in the right direction.

No comments: