Sunday, October 18, 2009

Personal Statements

On the topic of personal statements for law school admissions:

Can you really have "im-personal" statements? We should rename them to something inspirational like "Documents of Miscellanea".

On a more serious note though, I'm currently writing my personal statements (which need to be finished by the 30th of October) and am stuck. I wrote the first one: well-written, but it's modest and sounds a bit disgruntled (not my intention). The second one is a "diversity" statement that I qualify for. Imagine that, me being diverse. That sounds so offensive. That's kind of like hearing the following (hypothetical) conversation:

Person A: Let's grab some Filiberto's or something Mexican.
Person B: OK, sounds good. I love ethnic food.

I don't want to discount diversity in law school, in fact, I openly encourage it. However, the diversity statement prompt makes it sound like just because you can be placed in a minority group, you have certainly faced some unbelievable adversity in life. And on top of that, you triumphed and emerged victorious. Why must people assume I can't leave my house without facing some daily trial or tribulation? Come on, I put my pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of you.

If you've read up to this point, you undoubtedly see the problem I face with my personal statements. I sometimes come off as hostile through the written-word. Oops, I need to work on that.

In other news, tomorrow I have a second exam in my favorite freshman level class: anthropology! Tarsiers and plesiodapomorphs and bilophodonts! Oh my! I did some studying, and intend to study more tonight.

Also, my french onion soup was fairly awesome (read my previous post). But here's what really made it special: I went to the grocery store to buy onions for the soup, and decided I wanted to buy a bottle or two of sparkling mineral water. So I go to the area where they have sparkling water, I grab two bottles (2 for $3) labeled as "mineral water", and leave. It turns out they weren't sparkling (despite being in the sparkling water section) at all, so now I have two bottles of very expensive water. I am slightly bitter because I paid $3 for water that would have cost me $0.03 in my Brita filter. Oh well. Ha!

No comments: