Monday, October 12, 2009

Pragmatic French Onion Soup

Yesterday, I finally got a crock pot. I'm not sure why I hadn't done so before, but to be completely honest, it's awesome. Being ever pragmatic and efficient, the Pragmatic Economist is not one to cook at length. That, and frankly, I'm not a great cook. I can pull together some wicked vodka pasta or tamale pie, but under normal circumstances my culinary expertise is as extensive as the kindergärtner who makes Play-Doh donuts.

I think I may be selling myself short a bit, I can boil water and turn on the oven, so it's not that I'm totally defenseless in the kitchen. For some odd reason, I've been craving French Onion Soup lately. I finally got the ingredients, and decided to cook (or crock pot rather). I went to the Crepes of Wrath cooking blog and found a nice little recipe. My friend Sydney runs the blog and had a recipe handy (which you can find here). Being lazy, I didn't follow it to the letter, but it worked. So without further adieu:

L'ognion français à l'économiste
(that title took way too long to type)

3 yellow onions
8 cups beef broth
a handful of sliced mushrooms
.5 pound broccoli
.5 pound carrot
dash of salt
1 tablespoon of butter

baguette
mozzarella cheese

1.) Slice onions, saute them in butter until carmelized
2.) Add onions to crock pot, set on high for 30 minutes until onions are hot
3.) Add mushrooms, broccoli, and carrots to crock pot. Keep on high for 1 hour
4.) Add beef broth, set to low heat
5.) Wait a few hours
6.) Taste, add salt if needed
7.) Put French Onion concoction in bowl
8.) Slice baguette, places pieces on top of soup
9.) Top with cheese, put in microwave until melted
10.) Eat

And there you have it, French onion soup. Cheap and easy, just like your local Mill Avenue floozy.


No comments: